Friday 6 November 2009

The Beggar Maid

By Alfred Lord Tennyson

The Beggar Maid

Her arms across her breast she laid;
She was more fair than words can say;
Barefooted came the beggar maid
Before the king Cophetua
In robe and crown the king step down,
To meet and greet her on her way;
'It is no wonder,' said the lords,
'She is more beautiful than day.'

As shines the moon in the clouded skies,
She in her poor attire was seen;
One praised her ankle, one her eyes,
One her dark hair and lovesome mien.
So sweet a face, such angel grace,
In all that land had never been.
Cophetua sware a royal oath:
'This beggar maid shall be my queen!'

This is the poetry I recited during my lower primary poetry recitation competition. It is so deep that I got no idea what it was when I was 9.

Not to brag about it, this was the first thing that brought me a 1st runner up winning in my life being alone @ solo on stage..

I just love the beauty of a poetry.. XD

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com