Tuesday 14 September 2010

How much calories you should take?

Recently, I have been very conscious about my body and things that I put into my mouth. The consciousness has been in me for quite a few years and I seriously see results in it. I did not take it that serious during the time I started it. My awareness wasn't triggered until I gained nearly 5kg in a short period and started to feel really tired plus turning pale whenever I have exercise. I even experienced pre-syncope when I was strolling in bazaar with my mom last year. Not wanting to tell what is inherited in my genes, all I hope was to stay healthy.

When I speak about counting calories, "are you on diet?" was the first impression. I wish to know, what does "on diet" actually means. Definitions are not giving out here, as it is the respective job of Wikipedia or Google. My very serious target is to improve my stamina. My lung function test never turn out reaching the par, sudden tachycardia during mild exercise are the best trigger for me to keep this going.

I came across Cekodok.com (a website with banana logo), where I learn about calories. I must have been very lucky that I can even have time to choose what to stuff into my mouth and let it turn into calories and start counting it. This might sounds very unappreciative if to compared to those that is starving and have no choice for food. But, like usual, being modest is the best thing in life. Not too less, not too much of it.

If you are interested not to over- or under- eat, I hope this can help.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculation :
Men 
BMR = 66 + (13.7 X weight in kg) + (5 X height in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women
BMR = 655 + (9.6 X weight in kg) + (1.8 X height in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Eg. A 25 year-old woman, with the weight of 50kg and height of 160cm

BMR = 655 + (9.6 X 50) + (1.8 X 160) - (4.7 X 25) = 1305.5 calories/day

The calculation didn't stop here, it must be calculate with the level of activity, which we called it Daily Calorie Requirement (DCR)

Sedentary : BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise)
Light active : BMR X 1.375 (light activities / 1-3 days of exercise)
Moderately active : BMR X 1.55 (moderate / 3-5 days of exercise)
Very active : BMR X 1.725 (hard / 6-7 days of exercise)
Extra active : BMR X 1.9 (hard / 2 times training in a day)

Eg. If she has light activities and exercise, this will her DCR : 1305.5 X 1.375 = 1795.06 calories/ day

The target of doing all this calculation is not only use-able for people who wanted to lose weight. This is a very general calories intake per day calculation, it is created for everyone. To gain weight, just take in more calories than the DCR, vice versa for losing weight, and to maintain weight, just take in as much as the DCR. 

Does this make life simple or complicated? Both!

Simple because everything is already there, if you would like to track the calories and exercise. Here is a recommended site that you can sign in for FREE. 

Complicated when you are not interested, not determined, not discipline and have no time.

So, it is up to you. I am just not going to let myself overeat anymore..
Love your body, love your health


JKM should be the best time to exercise. It is better than sitting in the room being spoiled by the machine hypnotize us with cool air

Love

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com